Sunday, April 9, 2017

Haddie's Haven: Night Shifts Black & Tracing Holland by Alyson Santos | Review


Hey Haven Invaders! I'm back with another compiled review. Firstly, so you are aware, if the gray-scale is not enough proof, these books are a little darker. I received copies of these from the New Adult Book Club on Goodreads for honest review. Be sure to listen to the song! It's so beautiful and I was in tears listening to it after having finished reading.

You know the drill: I am only sharing my final thoughts on the books. The synopsis is right there for you to have a brief idea what the book is about. Cover will be linked to Amazon. My Goodreads review will be right beneath the corresponding book.



Amazon
Night Shifts Black
(NSB #1)
Kindle Edition, 356 pages

Published March 20th 2016


His name is Luke. But nobody knows that. He was an iconic musician before he gave up music. But nobody knows that either. They also don’t know he’s twenty-seven, that he used to have an infectious laugh, and that he’s way too young to be widowed. They certainly don’t know the rest of his tragic story. All they know is that he comes into their cafĂ© at the same time every morning and stares at the same chair at the same table. They know he’s strange. They know he interrupts their breakfast with a cold blast of air as he hovers in the doorway, mustering the courage to confront a piece of furniture. 

No one asks why. No one cares. He’s fine with that. He’s done with life. This isn’t even his story anymore. It’s actually Callie’s, the young writer who sat in his chair one day. 

This novel is a work of fiction and intended for mature readers. Events and persons depicted are of a fictional nature and use language, make choices, and face situations inappropriate for younger readers. Please note this book also addresses the issues of depression and suicide in a compassionate, realistic manner. This book can be read as a standalone, but the story continues in Tracing Holland.

Night Shifts Black (NSB Book 1)Night Shifts Black by Alyson Santos
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

DISCLAIMER: I voluntarily requested a review copy of this book for honest review.
Heartbreaking. Beautiful. Those are the two words I find most adequate to describe this book. Luke is so raw. Callie's compelling willingness to be there for him. The writing is precise and on point. The connection between the characters is vivid and believable. I swear, I was about to lose bucket-loads of tears several times. And it ends so perfectly. And . . . Nuff said.



Greetings from the Inside - Night Shifts Black - Buy the song!!!

Amazon
Tracing Holland
(NSB #2)
Kindle Edition, 271 pages
Published September 10th 2016

Book 2 of 2 of the NSB Series. 

Second chances are hard enough when you deserve them. Then there are the ones you don’t. 

Callie asked if I was ready. And that’s the question, isn’t it? Ready for what? The spotlight? The music? Or ready for life. Ready to face the reality that what I was is going to attack the very fabric of who I am now. No one knows I’m a different person. Well, no one except the two most important people in my life, which is why there’s a remote chance I might actually pull off the comeback I never saw coming. 

Then again, that was before Holland Drake crashed into my life. I didn’t ask for her. Heaven knows she didn’t ask for me. But sometimes it’s not about what makes sense; it’s about accepting that not everything will. It’s learning you have a choice when it feels like you don’t. It’s believing even the worst past can still have a future. 

And sometimes it’s none of that. Sometimes it’s survival. A blind fight through the pain as you cling to any shred of hope you can find. And it’s those moments, those desperate pleas into the darkness for a flicker of light, when you have no choice but to confront the blessing that often feels like a curse: 

You’re still alive. You’re still significant. 

You’re once again Luke Craven, frontman for Night Shifts Black. 

This novel is a work of fiction and intended for mature readers. Events and persons depicted are of a fictional nature and use language, make choices, and face situations inappropriate for younger readers. Please note this book also addresses the issues of depression and suicide in a compassionate, realistic manner.

Tracing Holland (NSB, #2)Tracing Holland by Alyson Santos
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

DISCLAIMER: I voluntarily requested a review copy of this book for honest review.
Oh the feels! 
<3 I can't get over how great Luke is now that he's letting go and facing the past. How he lets Holland into his life. The friendship between Luke and Casey doesn't change and definitely feels stronger in this book. Callie is Callie and I love how she is with both guys. Holland is in for it all. Luke doesn't feel like he deserves it, and yet he needs her. It's beautiful. 
I had Greetings From The Inside on repeat while I was reading. I think I may have found my new favorite song. 
View all my reviews

There you have it. This series is absolutely heartbreaking. Definitely read Night Shifts Black first. Like it mentions in the synopsis, it can be read as a stand-alone, but you will be utterly confused if you choose to read Tracing Holland first. I recommend this series to readers who have read books by Sunniva Dee. Thanks for passing through!

Visit my Facebook page!!

No comments:

Post a Comment